Sunday, July 20, 2008

Alegany State Park

We drove south about an hour and a half with the Tanners to Alegany State Park. It was gorgeous there! And if you want a good time, take the Tanners along (or have them take you along). We started off by going on a nature trail hike which we thought was going to be easy going for a couple of miles. Well, we should have realized from the overgrown start of the trail that it wasn't going to get better, but we weren't intimidated. Nick showed the real pioneer within him and pushed his daughters in a stroller over roots and rocks, through mud and under/around/over fallen trees. I'm surprised that his daughters did so well with the off-roading because they were going on one or two wheels for half of the trip and airborne for another part of the trip. Sarah wouldn't be shown up by Nick, so she showed her pioneer spirit by hiking the treacherous trail while being pregnant.

I carried Tyson in a baby carrier, which was great until he decided to blow through his diaper. The following picture is after an initial wiping off, so it doesn't show the true extent of the blow out.

With his weight all on his bum, there wasn't any space in his diaper for his poo, so it went down his leg and onto unsuspecting daddy. Yuck! Having failed our hiking/emergency preparedness lessons, we didn't have any diapers, wipes or clothes with us on the hike. So we're in the middle of the forest with muck flowing from my baby onto me. Great. All we could do was wait until we finished the hike and clean us both off. Tyson didn't seem to mind. He just fell asleep in the baby carrier for the second half of the trip.

We then went swimming in the lake and had fun on a paddle boat. It really was a beautiful area and I recommend it to people looking for a good time.

P.S. This is the second year in a row that we went with the Tanners on an outing where we went swimming at a beach/lake. My vote is that we keep the tradition alive and go to Hawaii next summer.

5 comments:

Brent said...

I found a new museum I can show ya and then we can take you to 7-peaks

Heather said...

Hey I am so sad we missed this outing. I wanted to go so bad. Next time we are definitely coming especially if it is in Hawaii.

Jason said...

That diaper explosion is awesome. That definitely deserves an award.

Kasey Van Tassell said...

That's great, everyone has a good diaper story that teaches them never, never be anywhere without a spare diaper, wipes and a change of clothes. We always hear these stories at church and I always crack up. If you go to Hawaii next summer please invite me. You should ask Kasey sometime about her diaper stories.

brentandkashann said...

thanks for telling us where we need to take our next vacation.
poor thane! I carried marcus for ten days straight in my front carrier and never got hit with anything but spitup. lucky me. looks like you are lovin' the time off as much as we are.