Friday, August 1, 2008

Garbage digging and killing Shaneequa

It's probably time to give you an update on our adventures.
1) Tyson is our biggest joy and adventure. He's sooooo fun but he definitely wears us out!
2) Thayne finally convinced me to let him have a blackberry. Not only did he convince me that he can have one but he convinced me that I can have one too. How did he do that? Well, I originally wouldn't let him have a blackberry because I don't want the mandatory $30 internet plan that you have to buy with the blackberry. However, through Thayne's persistence and research he learned that T-Mobile doesn't make you get an internet plan! Yay!!! Plus, you get money back if you buy the phone on-line. Free phone and it's cool. What a deal!
3) Shaneequa died. For those of you who don't know, Shannequa was our 92 Nissan Stanza. Our first car as a couple and our friend. Well, we knew she was having major problems. She leaked oil, had a huge crack in her window that needed to be fixed in order to pass NY state inspection, doors wouldn't always open, windows would get stuck, etc. We posted her Sunday night on Craig's list for $700 hoping to get $500. By Monday night she wouldn't go faster than 30mph. We didn't think it was worth it to fix her up when we could sale her to a junk yard and get $350. When we tried to drive her to the junk yard she wouldn't move due to the emergency brake locking up. That's when we decided enough was enough and we called somebody to come pick her up. We got $250 for her. Disappointing, but hey it was better than nothing. Luckily we had bought a newer, more reliable car a few months ago. (My dad once compared us driving across the US in Shaneequa to the mormon handcart company crossing the plains.)
4) Thayne and I were happy to discover that our taxes went down and so our mortgage is cheaper and we had been sent a surplus check for the extra taxes we paid last year. Our mortgage is through Citibank and they are always sending us junk in the mail. If it’s not a statement, I usually rip it up without opening it. I thought I had accidentally thrown away the check so T and I dug through our garbage, bag by bag. It was really nasty. (Dirty diapers, pork fat, food scraps, etc.) We couldn’t find it. I was a bit worried but luckily the check showed up the next day. ☺
5) We went to the beach. The water was sooooo warm. I dug a hole so I could bury somebody but nobody wanted to be buried. So I buried myself. Then, Roland helped me become the 7 legged URSULA!!! Beware mermaids!!!!5) I quit my job today. Well I gave my two week notice. I've really enjoyed working for the company that I've been working for. It's been an awesome job but with T going back to school I feel like it's better for me to quit. I wanted to keep working but after paying for a sitter, taxes, and tithing it's not very much money. I've been praying about this for the past couple of weeks and this just feels better.
My boss is awesome. When I told her I wanted to quit she said she thought that might happen and asked me when I wanted to go to lunch for my farewell party. I couldn't have asked for a better boss. She's been awesome. I love that she seemed more interested on where I wanted to eat than that I was leaving her short handed.

3 comments:

A.K.A. - Adam, Kasey, Ady said...

Sorry to hear about your car and congrats on getting a rebate. We just got our surplus check and that was really nice. Glad to see you at the beach. . . looks like you needed a little sun.
Adam

JarvisFamily said...

You guys look like your doing Great! Nat I'm glad you've joined the Stay at Home Mommy club. It's tough at times, sometime you just need another grown-up to talk to. Glad to see you guys doing so well.
Laurie (& Steven too)

Kimberly said...

That is a bummer that Shaneequa finally had go on a hiatus. Luckily you had a backup plan.

Your little boy is just getting cuter and cuter everyday. Hopefully you'll get out west again soon.